Baltimore Read Aloud was created to bring diverse books into Baltimore City neighborhoods for all children, and the adults who love them, to enjoy. We want to do our part to improve access to children’s literature that represents the experience of every child.
We host read aloud events in different parts of the city and region to raise awareness of and increase access to diverse books. We can pop-up at a neighborhood cafe, farmer’s market, church or school cafeteria. The typical event lasts about two hours may include the following activities:
- Opening. Welcome by event host.
- Harambe. Youth workers lead Cheers and Chants to celebrate reading
- Read Aloud. Guest Readers read a curated selection of titles for young readers and teens.
- Vendors. Retailers and authors set up tables for selling books and bookish items.
- Give Away’s. Books and bookish items are given away or raffled to families.
- Author Signing. When possible, guest authors will be available to sell and sign published books.